The Resource Cuz : or, the life and times of Michael A.
- Cuz : or, the life and times of Michael A.
- Title remainder
- or, the life and times of Michael A.
- Statement of responsibility
- Danielle Allen
- trueAfrican American young men -- Biography
- trueLife stories -- Relationships | Family
- trueSociety and culture -- Race
- African American young men -- Social conditions -- 21st century
- Allen, Michael Alexander, -2009
- trueAfrican American families
- trueAllen, Michael Alexander, died 2009
- trueRacism in the criminal justice system
- trueDrug control
- trueSociety and culture -- Violence and crime
- Criminal justice, Administration of -- United States
- trueAfrican American teenage boys
- African American juvenile delinquents
- trueLos Angeles, California
- Discrimination in criminal justice administration -- United States
- trueSouth Central Los Angeles, California
- trueJuvenile justice system
- trueAfrican American women college teachers
- trueLife stories -- Law and order | Prisoners and inmates
- trueAllen, Danielle S, 1971-
- trueAfrican American men
- trueAutobiographies and memoirs
- trueGunshot victims
- trueCrack (Drug)
- The author relates how her cousin was imprisoned at the age of fifteen for attempted carjacking and how she took him in upon his release, only to lose him to the deadly streets of South Central L.A
- "A shattering work that shifts between a woman's private anguish over the loss of her beloved baby cousin and a scholar's fierce critique of the American prison system, Danielle Allen's Cuz seeks answers to what, for many years, felt unanswerable. Why? Why did her cousin, a precocious young man who dreamed of being a firefighter and a writer, end up dead? Why did he languish in prison? And why, at the age of fifteen, was he in an alley in South Central Los Angeles, holding a gun while trying to steal someone's car? Cuz means both 'cousin' and 'because.' In this searing memoir, Allen unfurls a 'new American story' about a world tragically transformed by the sudden availability of narcotics and the rise of street gangs--a collision, followed by a reactionary War on Drugs, that would devastate not only South Central L.A. but virtually every urban center in the nation. At thirteen, sensitive, talkative Michael Allen was suddenly tossed into this cauldron, a violent world where he would be tried at fifteen as an adult for an attempted carjacking, and where he would be sent, along with an entire generation, cascading into the spiral of the Los Angeles prison system. Throughout her cousin Michael's eleven years in prison, Danielle Allen--who became a dean at the University of Chicago at the age of thirty-two--remained psychically bonded to her self-appointed charge, visiting Michael in prison and corresponding with him regularly. When she finally welcomed her baby cousin home, she adopted the role of 'cousin on duty, ' devotedly supporting Michael's fresh start while juggling the demands of her own academic career. As Cuz heartbreakingly reveals, even Allen's devotion, as unwavering as it was, could not save Michael from the brutal realities encountered by newly released young men navigating the streets of South Central. The corrosive entanglements of gang warfare, combined with a star-crossed love for a gorgeous woman driving a gold Mercedes, would ultimately be Michael's undoing. In this Ellisonian story of a young African American man's coming-of-age in late twentieth-century America, and of the family who will always love Michael, we learn how we lost an entire generation."--Jacket
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2017.
- Biography type
- individual biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Cuz : or, the life and times of Michael A.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cuz : or, the life and times of Michael A.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/resource/q7Q9oLgT27w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/resource/q7Q9oLgT27w/">Cuz : or, the life and times of Michael A.</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/">Austin Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>