The Resource (--shards--)
- Statement of responsibility
- Ismet Prcic
- Title variation
- Immigrants -- California, Southern -- Fiction
- Coming of age -- Fiction
- Families -- Bosnia and Hercegovina -- Fiction
- Psychological fiction
- War -- Psychological aspects -- Fiction
- War stories
- Bosnian Americans -- Fiction
- Young men -- Bosnia and Hercegovina -- Fiction
- Yugoslav War, 1991-1995 -- Fiction
- Yugoslav War, 1991-1995 -- Refugees -- Fiction
- "Ismet Prcic's brilliant, provocative, and propulsively energetic debut is about a young Bosnian, also named Ismet Prcic, who has fled his war-torn homeland and is now struggling to reconcile his past with his present life in California. He is advised that in order to make peace with the corrosive guilt he harbors over leaving behind his family behind, he must 'write everything.' The result is a great rattlebag of memories, confessions, and fictions: sweetly humorous recollections of Ismet's childhood in Tuzla appear alongside anguished letters to his mother about the challenges of life in this new world. As Ismet's foothold in the present falls away, his writings are further complicated by stories from the point of view of another young man -- real or imagined -- named Mustafa, who joined a troop of elite soldiers and stayed in Bosnia to fight. When Mustafa's story begins to overshadow Ismet's new-world identity, the reader is charged with piecing together the fragments of a life that has become eerily unrecognizable, even to the one living it. Shards is a thrilling read -- a harrowing war story, a stunningly inventive coming of age, and a heartbreaking saga of a splintered family."--Publisher's description
- Los Angeles Times Art Seidenbaum Award for First Fiction, 2011.
- New York Times Notable Book 2011
- Oregon Book Awards, Ken Kesey Award for Fiction, 2013.
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of (--shards--)
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work (--shards--)
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/resource/ej81JIR2uL0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/resource/ej81JIR2uL0/">(--shards--)</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/">Austin Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Austin Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...