The Resource Town is by the sea
- Town is by the sea
- Statement of responsibility
- Joanne Schwartz ; illustrated by Sydney Smith
- Boys -- Juvenile fiction
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueCoal mines and mining
- trueElectronic books
- trueCoastal towns
- Children of coal miners -- Juvenile fiction
- truePicture books for children
- trueCanadian fiction
- Coal mines and mining -- Juvenile fiction
- Fathers and sons -- Juvenile fiction
- Ocean mining -- Juvenile fiction
- true1950s -- 1950 -- 1959
- Cities and towns -- Juvenile fiction
- trueEveryday life
- trueFirst person narratives
- Nova Scotia -- Juvenile fiction
- A young boy wakes up to the sound of the sea, visits his grandfather's grave after lunch and comes home to a simple family dinner with his family, but all the while his mind strays to his father digging for coal deep down under the sea. Stunning illustrations by Sydney Smith, the award-winning illustrator of Sidewalk Flowers, show the striking contrast between a sparkling seaside day and the darkness underground where the miners dig. With curriculum connections to communities and the history of mining, this beautifully understated and haunting story brings a piece of Canadian history to life. The ever-present ocean and inevitable pattern of life in a Cape Breton mining town will enthrall children and move adult readers
- ALA Notable Children's Books, 2018.
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 2017.
- Kate Greenaway Medal, 2018.
- New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book, 2017.
- School Library Journal Best Books, 2017
- TD Canadian Children's Literature Award, 2018.
- USBBY Outstanding International Book, 2018.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Town is by the sea
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Town is by the sea
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/resource/WnhqTUlrY9E/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/resource/WnhqTUlrY9E/">Town is by the sea</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.austintexas.gov/">Austin Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>